Follow Ahmad, Tajuddin (1925-1975) lawyer, politician, and the first Prime Minister of Bangladesh. Tajuddin Ahmad was born on 23 July 1925 at village Dardaria...
University of Rajshahi
University of Rajshahi is one of the largest Universities in the country and the largest in the northern region of Bangladesh. After its foundation on July 6, 1953, the university has passed 62 years providing higher education and research. The university is located at the green premises of Motihar which is very close to the mighty river Padma and seven km. east from the Rajshahi City Center.
University of Rajshahi being the second largest University in Bangladesh is the highest seat of learning in the Northern region of the country. The necessity of a University in the Northern part of ers while East Pakistan was felt immediately after the creation of Pakistan. These areas were comparatively lagging behind in higher education and the University of Dhaka then only of its kind in the country, being situated in the capital was not very easily accessible to the students of this part. Following a popular demand for a University in this region, the government prepared a feasibility report and Rajshahi was found suitable for establishing the same. Rajshahi University act 1953 (East Bengal Act XV of 1953) was passed by the East Pakistan provincial assembly on March 31, 1953. The assent of the then Governor to establish a University at Rajshahi was first published in the Dhaka Gazette. Extraordinary dated 16th June 1951 and consequently the University started functioning. “Bara Kuthi”, 18th century’s Dutch trading house was made the administration building. Dr. Itrat Hossain Zeberi was the first Vice-Chancellor of the University. Its normal academic activities began in 1954. During the early days of inception classes were held at Rajshahi Government College. In 1961 the University moved to its present campus.
Vice-Chancellor : Professor Muhammad Mizanuddin
Pro Vice-Chancellor : Professor Chowdhury Sarwar Jahan
Treasurer : Professor Sayen Uddin Ahmed
Registrar : Professor Muhammad Entazul Huque
Established in : 1953
Area : 303.80 Hectares
Faculties : Eight
Department : 47
Institute : Five
Halls of Residence : 16 (11 for Male & 5 for Female Students)
Teacher : 1100 (approx.)
Student : 25,000 (approx.)
Officer : 611
Employees (Non Officer) : 1385