Follow Ahmad, Tajuddin (1925-1975) lawyer, politician, and the first Prime Minister of Bangladesh. Tajuddin Ahmad was born on 23 July 1925 at village Dardaria...
Historical Outline of Dhaka University
On 31 January a delegation led by Nawab Sir Salimullah,Nawab Syed Nawab Ali Chowdhury and Sher e-Bangla A.K. Fazlul Hug met Viceroy Lord Hardinge on his visit to Dhaka (then Dacca) and raised the demand of the establishment of a University in the region.
On 2 February a communique was published stating the decision of the Government of India to recommend the Constitution of a University at Dhaka.
On 4 April the Government of British India invited the Government of Bengal to submit a complete scheme of the University.
On 27 May the Government of Bengal published resolution in regard to the proposed University and appointed a Committee of thirteen members with Sir Robert Nathaniel as President to frame the scheme. The Committee, known as Nathan committee, submitted the scheme in the same year.
The Nathan Committee Report was published for public opinion; approved by the Secretary of State in the same year.
A resolution was moved in the Imperial Legislative Council by Nawab Syed Nawab Ali Chowdhury asking the Government of India to introduce a bill for the establishment and incorporation of a University at Dhaka. The scheme of the University was referred to the Calcutta University Commission led by the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Leeds, Dr. M.E. Sadler for advice regarding constitution and management of the University.
Dacca University Act of 1920, Act No. XVIII, was passed by the Legislative Council that received the assent of the Governor General on 23 March.
1921: The year of the start of the University
On July 1, 1921 the University began its journey with 3 Faculties: Arts, Science and Law; 12 Departments- Sanskrit and Bengali, English, Education, History, Arabic and Islamic Studies, Persian and Urdu, Philosophy, Economics and Politics, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Law; 3 Dormitories for students: Salimullah Muslim Hall, Dacca Hall and Jagannath Hall.
On 22 February the University held its first Convocation.
Lord Lytton, Governor of Bengal and Chancellor of the University of Dhaka was the convocation speaker.
The Department of Political Science became a separate identity.
The Fazlul Haq Muslim Hall was established.
The Department of International Relations was established.
The University completed its first phase of Development with the end of the British rule in the subcontinent.
he Department of Islamic History and Culture was opened in the Faculty of Arts and also the Department of Geography (now Geography and Environment) in Science Faculty.
The Department of Soil Science (now Soil, Water and Environment) and the Department of Geology were established in Science Faculty.
The Department of Statistics was initiated in the science Faculty.
1952: The year of the Language Movement
The University of Dhaka played the central role in the Language Movement that ultimately culminated in the recognition of Bangla as the State Language.
The Department of Botany became a separate identity.
The Department of Zoology started functioning in Science Faculty.
The Department of Sociology was established in faculty and the Department of Biochemistry ( Biochemistry andMolecular Biology )in the Faculty.
Iqbal Hall was established, renamed as Sgt. Zahurul Huq Hall in 1972
Department of Library Science was opened (renamed as the Department of Information Science and Library Management) in the Faculty of Arts.
The Bureau of Economic Research, formed by some teachers in 1956, was officially recognized.
The Faculty of Commerce was introduced as a major area of study at the University.
The Institute of Education and Research was established in the University of Dhaka.
The Department of Journalism (now Mass Communication and Journalism) was established.
The first women’s Hall, Ruqayyah Hall, was established.
The “Assembly Hall” of the then East Pakistan Provincial Government was handed over to the University of Dhaka to become a part of the Residential facilities for the Students of Jagannath Hall.
The Department of Pharmacy started its journey in the Science Faculty and the Institute of Statistical Research and Training was opened in the University of Dhaka.
The Department of Applied Physics (now Electrical and Electronics Engineering) started functioning in theScience Faculty.
The Department ofPsychology was also established under the Science Faculty.
The International Hostel (now Sir P.J. Hartog International Hall) was established.
M. A. Jinnah Hall was established, renamed as SurjaSen Hall in 1972.
The University of Dhaka played a significant role in the autonomy movement of 1966
Haji Muhammad Mohsin Hall was established.
The Institute of Nutrition and Food Sciences was created.
The University of Dhaka played a significant role in the autonomy movement of 1969.
The Faculty of Social Science was established involving the Departments of Economics, Political Science, Sociology, International Relations and Public Administration.
Faculty of Commerce (now Business Studies) was created with the opening of Accounting (now Accounting and Information Systems) and Management (now Management Studies)Departments in the Faculty.
1971 The year of Independence
The University made supreme sacrifices with fourteen teachers, one officer, twenty six employees, and hundreds of students of the university losing their lives in the war for the Independence of Bangladesh.
The second women Hall, Shamsunnahar Hall was established.
The University completed its second phase of development and started the third phase of developmentwiththeemergenceofthe People’s Republic of Bangladesh. 1972
TheDepartment of Applied Chemistry (now Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering) was opened in the Science Faculty and the Department of Public Administration in the Faculty of Social Sciences.
The Dhaka University Order, 1973 came into force whereby the democratic norms and autonomy became integral features of the University. The Institute of Social Welfare and Research was established.
The Institute of Modern Languages started functioning in the University.
The Faculty of Biological Sciences was established with the Departments of Soil Science (now Soil, Water and Environment), Botany, Zoology, Biochemistry (now Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), Psychology and Pharmacy. The Departments of Finance (later Finance and Banking) and Marketing were established in the Faculty of Commerce. The Bureau of Business Research started functioning.
Kabi Jashimuddin Hall and Sir A.F. Rahman Hall were established. The Bose Centre for Advanced Studies and Research in Natural Sciences was opened.
The Department of Microbiology was introduced in the Faculty of Biological Sciences.
The Department of Islamic Studies started functioning as an independent identity in the Faculty of Arts. The Centre for Advanced Studies and Research in Biological Sciences, Dev Centre for Philosophical Studies and the Centre for Advanced Research in the Humanities were established.
The Renewable Energy Research Centre was opened.
The Institute of Fine Arts was added to the University.
The Centre for Advanced Study and Research in Social Sciences was established.
The old “Assembly Hall” of the then East Pakistan Provincial Government later constituting a part of the Jagannath Hall collapsed on October 15 that led to the death of 26 students of the Hall and 14 employees and guests. The day has been recognized as the “University of Dhaka Mourning Day”, observed every year in memory of the departed souls.
The Semi-conductor Technology Research Centre and the Biotechnology Research Centre were opened in the University.
Biological Nitrogen Fixation Research Unit involving the Centre for National Research Scientific (CNRS), France & the Department of Soil Science, University of Dhaka was established.
Muktijoddha Ziaur Rahman Hall and Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall were established. In 2014 renamed as Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall. The Nazrul Research Centre and the Archives and History Research Centre were opened.
Bangladesh Kuwait Maitree Hall, a third dormitory for the female students and the Institute of Business Administration Hostel were established. DisasterResearchTrainingandManagement Centre in the Department of Geography and Environment was established.
The Delta Study Centre in the Department of Geology started functioning.
The Department of Computer Science (now Comber Science & Engineering) the Department of linguistics and the Department of Anthropology started functioningin the Faculty of Science, Faculty of Arts and Faculty of Social Sciences respectively.
Nabab Faizunnessa Chowdhurani Chhatrinibash (Hostel) was established for the female M.Phil and Ph.D.students of the University.
The Department of Theatre and Music was established in the Arts Faculty of the University. The research Centre for Liberation War was created.
Faculty of Pharmacy was established involving the department of Pharmacy. The Centre for Development and Policy Research was established.
Commerce Faculty was renamed as the Faculty Business Studies.
Centre for Bio-medical Research was established.
The Department of World Religions and the Department of Clinical Psychology had begun in the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Biological Sciences respectively.
Department of Aquaculture and Fisheries (renamed as the Department of Fisheries) started in the Faculty of Biological Sciences.
The Institute of Health Economics was opened in the University of Dhaka. Also the Centre of Excellence for Advanced Research in Physical, Chemical, Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences was started.
The Department of Population Sciences and the Department t of Peace and Conflict Studies were opened in the Faculty of Social Sciences.
The Department of Genetic Engineering and Bio-technology and the Department of Women Studies (renamed as the Department of Women & Gender Studies) were established in the Faculty of Social Sciences and the Faculty of Social Sciences respectively. Nazmul Karim Study Centre in the Department of Sociology and the Centre for Cultural Development Research of Bangladesh were established.
The Begum Fazilatunnessa Mujib Hall (the fourth women Hall) and the Amar Ekushey Hall were established.
The Institute of Information Technology was opened in the University of Dhaka. The Centre for Development and Institutional Studies, the Dr. Sirajul Haque Islamic Research Centre, the Centre for Education Research and Training and a Centre of Excellence for Advanced Research in Arts and Social Sciences were established.
The Department of Development Studies started functioning in the Faculty of Social Sciences. The Japan Study Centre and Language Teaching Centre were created in the University of Dhaka. The Department of Mass Communication and Journalism came under the Faculty of Social Sciences from the Faculty of Arts.
The Pharmacy Department had split into the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology, and the Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology for Masters Programmes, with the Honours Programme under the Faculty itself. The Dhaka University Cyber Centre was established. The Department of Banking and the Department of Management Information Systems (MIS) were established in the Business Studies Faculty. The Arts Computer Centre and the Centre for Governance Studies came into existence in the University of Dhaka.
University and Industry Alliance was established in the Institute of Business Administration.
Bangladesh-Australia Centre for Environmental Research was established in the Department of Soil, Water and Environment.
The Centre for Corporate Governance and Finance Studies and the Centre for Microfinance and Development started functioning in the university.
The Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management and the Department of International Business were opened in the Faculty of Business Studies.
The Faculty of Earth and Environmental Sciences, The Faculty of Engineering and Technology and The Faculty of Fine Arts were opened. The Department of Biomedical Physics and Technology was opened in the Faculty of Science.
The Department of Theoretical Physics was resuscitated in the Faculty of Science. A 2-Year Regional Masters Programme in Journalism, Media and Communication began at the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism in partnership with The Oslo University College, Norway; The University of Punjab, Pakistan and College of Journalism and Mass Communication, Nepal. Teachers and students from all these partner countries take part in teaching and learning to this Programme.
The Center for Administrative Research and Innovation, The Center for Interreligious & Intercultural Dialogue; The Center for Buddihist Heritage and Culture and the Center for Trade and Investment came into existence.
The Department of Theatre and Music is separated into two Departments, namely-The Department of Theatre and the Department of Music. The Center for Disaster and Vulnerability Studies was established.
The Centre for Genocide Studies was established. Studentship expulsion order imposed by the Executive Council on the then young student leader, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman (later Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman) for expressing solidarity with the ongoing movement of class-iv employees union of Dhaka University in 1949, was unanimously revoked by the University Syndicate in August this year.
Three new Departments were opened at the University. They are: The Department of Television and Film Studies under the Faculty of Social Sciences, The Department of Nuclear Engineering under the Faculty of Engineering & Technology and The University of Dhaka
Department of Educational and Counseling Psychology under the Faculty of Biological Sciences. The Renewable Energy Research Centre was converted as the Institute of Renewable Energy. The Government of Bangladesh has decided to handover the Bangladesh College of Leather Technology to the University of Dhaka for transforming it into an Institute of the University.
The Kotler Centre for Marketing Excellence (KCME) was established.
Two new Departments were opened under the Faculty of Earth and Environmental Sciences. The Department of Oceanography and the Department of Disaster Science and Management. The Institute of Disaster Management and Vulnerability Studies and The Institute of Leather Engineering and Technology have been set up. It may be noted here that the Bangladesh College of Leather Technology was handed over by the Government to the University for transforming it into an independent institute under Dhaka University. Two centres, namely The Scandinavian Study Centre and The East Asia Study Centre were established.
The Department of Criminology was opened in the Faculty of Social Sciences.
Three research Centres, namely the Centre on Budget and Policy, the Centre for Policy Research on Business and Development and the Centre for Climate Change Study and Resource Utilization were established.
Four new Departments were opened at the University. These are: Department of Dancing under the Faculty of Arts, Department of Applied Mathematics under the Faculty of Science, Department of Communication Disorders under the Faculty of Social Sciences and Department of Pharmacy under the Faculty of Pharmacy. Six Research Centres, namely The Centre for English Teaching and Research, The Chromosome Research Centre, Centre of Excellence for Teaching and Learning, Centre for Culture and Resilience Studies, Centre for Bioinformatics Learning Advancement and Systematics Training were established and Air Quality Research and Monitoring Centre has been established at the Advance Research in Sciences (CARS).